Policy 11: Code of Conduct
The Board is committed to effective decision-making and, once a decision has been made, speaking with one voice. Towards this end board members will:
- Act in accordance with the Policy 5.1 Values Statement of the Board Members.
- Represent one’s own view as an individual view (“my own thinking on this is that…”).
- Be honest with others and true to themselves.
- Endeavour to build on other’s ideas or offer alternative points of view as options to be considered and invite others to do so too.
- Be balanced in one’s effort to understand other board members and to make oneself understood.
- Be properly prepared for board deliberations.
- Once a decision is made by the board, support and defend the decision, even if one’s own view is a minority one.
- Not disclose or discuss differences of opinion on the board outside of board meetings, especially with stakeholders or members. The board should communicate externally with one voice.
- Respect the confidentiality of information on sensitive issues and abide by the Confidentiality Policy (12) of the board.
- Be an advocate for the organization and its mission wherever and whenever the opportunity arises in their own personal and professional network.
- Refrain from speaking for the organization unless authorized to do so by the board.
- Refrain from giving direction, as an individual board member, to the Executive Director or any member of staff unless directed by the board to do so.
- Disclose one’s involvement with other organizations, businesses or individuals where such a relationship might be viewed as a conflict of interest and abide by the Conflict of Interest Bylaw section 11.
This policy was revised by the Board at its November 12, 2021 meeting.
Approved by the Board, 17 April 2020