Vision, Goals, Value and Purpose
STLHE strives to be the pre-eminent national voice, and a world leader, for enhancing teaching and learning in higher education. The Society supports research, its dissemination, increased awareness, and application of research through scholarly teaching and learning.
The STLHE vision and strategies are enabled by a number of goals articulated below:
Support and advance teaching and learning in higher education;
Provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and networking opportunities;
Provide opportunities for professional development;
Facilitate and disseminate research on teaching and learning;
Recognize and reward contributions to teaching excellence, educational leadership, innovation, service and mentorship in higher education;
Collaborate with like-minded teacher and student groups and organizations in Canada and abroad;
Shape, influence and lead policy decisions that enhance teaching and learning in higher education at local, national and international levels;
Carry out the work of the Society in Canada’s two official languages;
Actively engage student participation in all aspects of the Society’s work;
- Be accountable to the membership for all decisions taken.
- Respect principles of confidentiality when appropriate.
- Declare any and all real or potential areas of conflict of interest.
- Behave fairly and equitably in all STLHE matters.
- Regularly seek input from our diverse membership, and particularly seek to hear and understand dissenting views.
- Represent the best interests of the membership and organization’s well-being.
(STLHE purpose as described in its Industry Canada Compliance with the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act)
- develop and provide programs promoting excellent teaching and the advancement of scholarship in teaching and learning at the post secondary level.
- provide instructional seminars and conferences on topics related to educational development and the advancement of scholarship in teaching and learning at the post-secondary education level and to disseminate information on excellent and scholarly teaching.
- Support the creation, application, integration and dissemination of knowledge on issues related to the advancement of teaching and the scholarship in teaching and learning at the post secondary level; and
- educate the public and increase its understanding of the importance of achieving excellence in teaching and learning.