3M National Teaching Fellowship
The 3M National Teaching Fellowship 2016 Call for Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the 3M National Teaching Fellowship, Canada’s most prestigious recognition of excellence in university teaching and educational leadership. We hope you are considering nominating a deserving candidate. If you are, please read the next few pages carefully. They will help you compose the dossier.
In 1986, the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE) and 3M Canada partnered to recognize exceptional contributions to teaching and learning at Canadian universities. The community of 3M National Teaching Fellows embodies the highest ideals of teaching excellence and scholarship with a commitment to encourage and support the educational experience of every learner.
Up to ten Fellowships are selected annually.
Canada now has almost 288 3M National Teaching Fellows, representing a broad range of academic disciplines from more than 80 small and large Canadian universities. They support teaching and learning at their own institutions and through larger, collaborative initiatives, supported by the Council of 3M Fellows and the STLHE.
- The Fellowship is open to any individual currently teaching at a Canadian university, regardless of discipline, level, or term of appointment.
- Nominees need not be members of STLHE.
- The Call for Nominations is distributed by email to the offices of the Provosts and Vice-Presidents (Academic) at all Canadian universities, to Educational Development Centres, and to members of STLHE.
- Anyone can nominate a candidate for the Fellowship. STLHE encourages nominations from administrators, department heads, colleagues, and former students.
- Please note: the order of materials in the dossier has changed from the 2015 call for nominations in order to emphasize the equal importance of educational leadership and teaching.
- Nominations are welcome in both English and French.
Once selected, the new Fellows can look forward to several productive and enjoyable opportunities. They will become life members of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education and the Council of 3M Teaching Fellows. New Fellows will also be invited to attend the STLHE annual conference at the University of Western Ontario (June 21-24, 2016) and a teaching and learning retreat at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (November 4-8, 2016). New Fellows should set aside both dates.
At the retreat, recipients spend many hours in one another’s company. Their free-flowing conversations about personal, professional, and scholarly issues in higher education result in bonding at a deep level.