Vision and Goals
STLHE strives to be the pre-eminent national voice, and a world leader, for enhancing teaching and learning in higher education. The Society supports research, its dissemination, increased awareness, and application of research through scholarly teaching and learning.
There are a number of ongoing strategic initiatives including the development of a meaningful commitment to bilingualism; increasing student awareness, engagement and participation; expanding our award programs to recognize special interest groups and other talents of teachers and students; strengthening our relationship with senior administrators and in particular the AUCC; and creating a new charitable arm “Teaching Learning Canada” whose aim would be to leverage several of our activities and events described in our goals below.
The STLHE vision and strategy are enabled by a number of goals articulated below:
- to support and advance teaching and learning in higher education
- to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas and networking opportunities
- to provide opportunities for professional development
- to facilitate and disseminate research on teaching and learning
- to recognize and reward contributions to teaching excellence, educational leadership, innovation, service and mentorship in higher education
- to collaborate with like-minded teacher and student groups and organizations in Canada and abroad
- to shape, influence and lead policy decisions that enhance teaching and learning in higher education at local, national and international levels
- to carry out the work of the Society in Canada’s two official languages
- to extend the work of the Society through the creation of Teaching and Learning Canada, a charitable foundation
- to actively engage student participation in all aspects of the Society’s work.