News & Updates

March email blast

In this email blast: Seeking a Green Guide Editorial Team, 2014 3M National Student Fellows – Student voices, Ready, Set, Register for STLHE 2015!, Educational Developers Institute, ICED (International Consortium for Educational Development), Upcoming dates and deadlines. (Having trouble seeing this email? Use this link.)

Greenguides250Seeking a Green Guide Editorial Team
The STLHE Green Guide series are intended to be relatively short, easy to read handbooks on different aspects of higher education, with a particular focus on teaching and learning issues. STLHE is creating an editorial team from Canadian colleges and universities to develop procedures for soliciting and reviewing Green Guide proposals, and shepherding accepted proposals through to publication. Members of the team will be asked to serve a two-year term, with the option of extending their commitment beyond the initial two years. If you are interested, and willing to become involved in this important work, or if you would like more information, please contact Dianne Bateman, STLHE Chair of Publications before May 1, 2015.

3MNSF_UAfeature_2502014 3M National Student Fellows – Student voices
As their capstone project the 2014 3M National Student Fellows are writing a series of discussion papers on the importance of adapting postsecondary [education] to the needs of learners in the 21st century. From February to April, University Affairs, a STLHE partner, is providing the forum “Student voices” to present their views to the broader postsecondary community on topics running the gamut from an open letter to a professor, to the necessity of experiential and practical experiences, to expanding the repertoire of learning materials, taking responsibility for the depth of one’s education and learning, and examining the reproduction of habits of inequity. These essays are not a litany of ‘musts and shoulds’ but are, in every sense, ‘expressive activism’ speaking from the perspectives of undergraduate insiders and telling us what we need to hear if we are to reach the hearts and intellects of the next generation of learners. Use this link for more information about the 3M National Student Fellows Award.

STLHE2015_250Ready, Set, Register for STLHE 2015!
Early bird registration is officially open for the 2015 STLHE Annual Conference being co-hosted by Simon Fraser University and The University of British Columbia. This year’s conference will be held June 16-19, 2015 at the beautiful Westin Bayshore Hotel in Vancouver, BC. So, don’t delay and register today! We look forward to welcoming you to Vancouver in June.

EDC250Educational Developers Institute
The EDC Institute is an intensive, extended, development opportunity for newer or experienced Educational Developers to develop skills to help facilitate the development of teaching and learning skills in others; in particular teaching assistants and faculty members. This year the EDC Institute will be held at York University Keele Campus from April 13-15. Use this link for additional information.

ICED250ICED (International Consortium for Educational Development)
Registration is now open for the ICED Continental Symposium on evidence-based educational development. Or, in the words of the organizers “dive into a range of evidence-based practices across disciplines and professional practice and push the boundaries of development by sharing very diverse perspectives.” Conference dates are June 14th and 15th at the Hotel Grand Pacific Victoria. Why not consider extending your visit out west and attend both ICED and STLHE?

Upcoming dates and deadlines:

Jon Houseman
Secretary, STLHE.

Archives