EDC Annual Conference
The Educational Developers Caucus is now inviting proposals for our 2015 conference in Winnipeg!
Full details and application form can be found below:
Deadline for submissions extended to: Friday, Oct 31, 2014
Join us at EDC 2015 in Winnipeg, Manitoba: http://www.edc2015.ca/
Reflecting on our Leap Beyond the Evidence
As educational developers within higher education in Canada, we sense that there is a growing level of support within the post-secondary community for teaching and learning. Although, we recognize that there is much work to be done for permanent institutional change, we see the placement of teaching and learning centre’s leadership at the institutional senior administrative level as a step in this direction. We have a body of knowledge to inform the direction of our institutional leadership based on mixed experiences of our international post-secondary educational development communities including those in England and Australia.
Additionally, there is a limited body of research on effective educational development which could inform the direction of our leadership. Given the relatively rapid role changes of teaching and learning centres within the institution, we wonder whether the basis of our leadership’s decision making is moving beyond the evidence. At our annual conference we will be exploring questions such as:
- Have we leapt beyond the evidence of educational development programming which best achieves our goals of engaging the community, creating institutional change, and creating
- individual changes in teaching practice?
- How do we decide what type of programming we offer?
- What are the beliefs or support for our decisions around programming?
- How do we decide how to assess impact? -of programs?, on educators?, on students?
- Are we providing programming in the absence of evidence?
- Where do we get our direction, our mentoring, our training?
- Are we following the direction of our international colleagues?
- Do we expect our journey to mirror their journey?
- On what basis are we informing our institutions of best practices?
For more information about EDC conferences: http://www.stlhe.ca/constituencies/educational-developers-caucus/edc-conferences/